Del Ray Real Estate
Del Ray | Alexandria VA Real Estate
Del Ray | Real Estate
Del Ray | Real Estate
Search Nearby Neighborhoods
ARLANDRIA | BELLE HAVEN | BRADDOCK ROAD | CARLYLE | EISENHOWER VALLEY | KING STREET | KINGSTOWNE | MOUNT VERNON | NORTH RIDGE | OLD TOWN | PARKER-GRAY | POTOMAC YARD | ROSEMONT | SEMINARY HILL | WEST END
Del Ray Features & Amenities
Mount Vernon Ave, named after tentative routes to George Washington’s Estate, was laid out wider than all other streets and featured the largest houses. Now it is perfect for strolling and is Del Ray’s primary destination for food and shopping. There are too many good restaurants to choose from, but to name a few: Cheesetique, Evening Star Cafe, Bombay Curry Co., Dairy Godmother, and St. Elmo’s Coffee Pub. Of course, if you prefer to cook, Del Ray Farmers’ Market pops up every Saturday morning at the corner of Mount Vernon Ave and Oxford Ave, all year round. Additionally, on the first Thursday of May, June, July, August, and September, Del Ray hosts a free street fair featuring local eateries, artisans and musicians. The community is also referred to by some as “Well Ray,” for it’s expansive community of wellness-related business and for the residents that renew the demand for them.
Del Ray Property Values
A relatively young and originally working-class neighborhood, Del Ray is home to an incredibly unique mix of homes. The neighborhood is comprised primarily of single-family dwellings and has seen the construction of folk-Vicotrian houses, foursquares, bungalows, colonial and Tudor revivals and even some pre-cut homes from Sears & Roebuck Co. The pre-existing eclectic blend has lent itself well to the addition of duplexes, apartments, and condos. The strong and well-maintained sense of community certainly play a part in giving the mixture a sense of unity.
Del Ray Early Days
In 1894, development of Del Ray, along with several other neighborhoods began. They were originally conceived as planned communities outside the city limits of both Alexandria and Washington, DC. The communities became very popular among US Government employees. In 1906, Potomac Yards opened, causing a population boom, and by 1908, Del Ray, along with St. Elmo, Abingdon, Hume, and parts of Mt. Vernon were combined to form the incorporated town of Potomac, complete with its own mayor, council, police force and fire brigade. In 1930, once Potomac’s value had become fully evident, it was annexed by the city of Alexandria. At that time Potomac ceased to exist, but it now lives on as Town of Potomac Historic District.
Del Ray, “Where Main Street Still Exists,” is also known for being home to the first interurban streetcar in The United States. From the time of its inception and original planning, Del Ray was a haven for commuters, looking for affordable living arrangements with easy access to Alexandria and DC. With metropolitan areas to the north and south, the grid for what would become the town of Potomac was laid out in long blocks running east to west for easy access to the electric railway and the turnpike. Developers were so passionate about commuting that they offered a year’s worth of free commuter fare to anyone who built a house before November, 1894.
Del Ray Transportation & Location
Del Ray can be easily accessed by the Braddock Rd Metro Station on the Blue and Yellow Lines. Jefferson Davis Hwy (Route 1), which runs along Del Ray’s eastern border provides quick access to I-395 to the north and I-495 to the south.
Del Ray is just inland from the Potomac River and is shaped by W Glebe Rd to the north, Russell Rd to the north, Braddock Rd and the Metrorail tracks to the south, and Jefferson Davis Hwy to the east.
© 2021 BRIGHT, All Rights Reserved. Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. The data relating to real estate for sale on this website appears in part through the BRIGHT Internet Data Exchange program, a voluntary cooperative exchange of property listing data between licensed real estate brokerage firms in which Compass participates, and is provided by BRIGHT through a licensing agreement. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than Compass are marked with the IDX logo and detailed information about each listing includes the name of the listing broker. The information provided by this website is for the personal, non-commercial use of consumers and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Some properties which appear for sale on this website may no longer be available because they are under contract, have Closed or are no longer being offered for sale. Some real estate firms do not participate in IDX and their listings do not appear on this website. Some properties listed with participating firms do not appear on this website at the request of the seller.
Listing information last updated on October 28th, 2021 at 4:46am EDT.