Schools in 16th Street Heights (an area bordered by Columbia Heights, Petworth, Brightwood, Crestwood, and Rock Creek Park) are generally mediocre. The area is served by 6 DC public schools, 5 charter schools, and 2 private schools.
The schools in 16th Street Heights include 6 DC Public Schools:
- Powell Elementary School educates 314 children in Pre-K through 4th Grade. This school has an 11:1 student to teacher ratio with a Great Schools Rating of 5 out of 10.
- Brightwood Education Campus is the most northern of the public schools in 16th Street Heights. It serves 549 students in grades Pre-K through 8 with a 27:1 student to teacher ratio, and received a Great Schools Rating of 5 out of 10 based on state test scores.
- West Education Campus is in the center of 16th Street Heights, educating 244 students in grades Pre-K through 8 with a 14:1 teacher to student ratio. Its Great Schools Rating is 6 out of 10.
- Macfarland Middle School is home to 200 students in grades 6 through 8, with a student to teacher ratio of 4:1, and a Great Schools Rating of 4 out of 10.
- Roosevelt High School serves 497 students in grades 9 through 12, with an 11:1 student to teacher ratio. The school received a Great Schools Rating of 6 out of 10.
- Roosevelt STAY High School is an alternative education program for 497 students with a 10:1 ratio. The school offers a variety of courses for adults who wish to continue their education or participate in specialized job training programs.
The schools in 16th Street Heights also include 5 charter schools.
- Bridges Public Charter School is a preschool which serves 76 students.
- Community Academy Public Charter School - Amos 1 serves 442 students in grades Pre-K through 5 with a Great Schools Rating of 7 out of 10.
- Community Academy Public Charter School - Amos 2 educates 146 of the youngest students in grades Pre-K through Kindergarten. This school received a 5 out of 10 from Great Schools Rating.
- Washington Latin Middle Public Charter School educates 300 students in grades 5 through 8.
- Hospitality Public Charter High School is a 9th through 12th grade institution for 160 students preparing for careers in the hotel and restaurant industries. The charter school is currently housed within Roosevelt Senior High School, with plans to move out of the 16th Street Heights neighborhood next year. The school has a Great Schools Rating of 5 out of 10.
Two private schools contribute to the list of schools in 16th Street Heights.
- Parkmont School educates 40 students in grades 6 to 12.
- The Kingsbury Center is a private school for PreK-12th grade students with learning differences including ADHD.
Best of luck as you seek out the best option for your child among the schools in 16th Street Heights!